My first Irish Stout

It’s late. The kids are sound asleep and my lovely wife is trying to catch up on rest. I’ve always been a bit of a night owl. So I took the opportunity to bottle my first batch of Irish Stout. The first sample a took from the fermenter shows pretty promising signs. It still needs to carbonate and it won’t be ready for another 3-4 weeks –  but in the event the recipe turns out well (and I will confirm this as soon as I can!), here it is:  (If want to have this in time for St. Patty’s Day, you better get brewing pronto)!


I got all my ingredients from

  • 1 vile, White Labs WLP004 yeast
  • 1 lb roast barley (milled)
  • 9 oz barley flakes (do not crack)
  • 5.5 US gal brewing water (I used Labrador Spring Water)
  • 3 lbs Sparkling Amber DME dry malt extract
  • 3 lbs Briess Golden Light DME dry malt extract
  • 1.5 oz Columbus Hops (bittering)
  • 1 tsp Irish moss
  • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
  • (no aroma hops)

Make it happen

  1. Add the grains and barley to grain bag.
  2. In brew kettle, bring 10 L brewing water to steeping temperature (I maintained it at 71C). Remove from heat, add the grain bag and steep for 30 minutes, making sure the steeping temperature remains constant. Remove and discard the grains.
  3. Crank up the heat to bring to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat and stir in the malt extract until dissolved completely.
  4. Return kettle to the burner and crank up heat again until the wort starts to boil. Using a spoon, clear foam to one-side and keep a close watch to prevent overflow.
  5. Reduce heat until a rolling boil can be maintained
  6. Add bittering hops, stir.
  7. Boil for 45 minutes, keeping a close watch.
  8. Remove kettle from heat, add Irish moss and yeast nutrient, stir and return to burner. Bring back to rolling boil for 15 minutes before turning off the heat and covering the kettle.
  9. Chill the wort, bringing it down to 24C within 45 minutes.
  10. Transfer to primary fermenter, top off with brewing water to bring volume to 5.5 US gal. Take a hydrometer reading (I got an original gravity of 1.050)
  11. Add the yeast, stir well with sanitized spoon, seal the fermenter with an airlock and let them do their magic for 4 days, or when the kräusen has fallen. (I had a busy week, so I actually went six days in the primary fermenter, but such is life…) Transfer to secondary fermenter.
  12. Prime and bottle.

And now, I wait. Updates to come soon!

  • Harold Stothart says:
    February 3, 2013 Reply

    Good for you. I have been bottling my own wines for about 15 years and still enjoy it very much. Keep it up, you will enjoy it every bottling.

Leave a Reply